Dr Phillip Habgood
Honorary Research Fellow
Phone: (+61 7) 336 68488
BA (Hons) (Archaeology & Anthropology), University of Sydney
PhD (Archaeology), University of Sydney
- Hominin evolution
- The Neanderthals
- The origin of modern humans & modern humans behaviour
- Australian archaeology, especially the Pleistocene period
- Middle Eastern archaeology especially the Neolithic & Chalcolithic periods
- Sima de las Palomas (Spain), a Middle Palaeolithic site dating from 120-40,000 years BP which continues to yield Neanderthal skeletal remains.
- Pella (Jordan), a multi-period tell site in the northern Jordan Valley which, as well as being a large Iron Age, Roman and Byzantine city has produced the remains of a large Bronze Age temple and extensive Chalcolithic & Neolithic occupation levels.
Habgood, P.J. & Franklin N. R. (2008) The revolution that didn't arrive: a review of Pleistocene Sahul. Journal of Human Evolution, 55:187-222.
Franklin N.R. & Habgood, P.J. (2007) Modern human behaviour and Pleistocene Sahul in review. Australian Archaeology, 65: 1-16.
Habgood, P.J. (2003) A Morphometric Investigation into the Origins of Anatomically Modern Humans. British Archaeological Reports, International Series 1176, Oxford England: Archaeopress.
Habgood, P.J. (1992) The origin of anatomically modern humans in east Asia. In G. Bräuer, and F.H. Smith (eds.) Continuity or Replacement: Controversies in Homo sapiens evolution, pp. 273-288.
Habgood, P.J. (1991) Aboriginal fossil hominids: Evolution and migrations. In R. Foley (ed.) The Origins of Human Behaviour. One World Archaeology Series No. 19, pp. 97-113.
Habgood, P.J.(1989) The origin of anatomically modern humans in Australasia. In P. Mellars and C.B. Stringer (eds.) The Human Revolution: Behavioural and Biological Perspectives in the Origins of Modern Humans, pp. 245-273.
Habgood, P.J. (1989) An investigation into the usefulness of a cladistic approach to the study of the origin of anatomically modern humans. Human Evolution, 4: 241-252.
Habgood, P.J. (1989) An examination of regional features on Middle and early Late Pleistocene sub-Saharan African hominids. South African Archaeological Bulletin, 44:17-22.
Habgood, P.J. (1987) Réestimation des variations observées sur le materiel osseux Australien. L'Anthropologie, 91:168-179.
Habgood, P.J. (1986) The origin of the Australian Aborigines: A multivariate approach. Archaeology in Oceania, 21:130-137.
Habgood, P.J. (1985) The origin of the Australian Aborigines: An alternative approach and view. In P.V. Tobias (ed.) Hominid Evolution: Past, Present and Future, pp. 367-380.